Posted by Dennis » Add Comment »
- ἀλλὰ μάχεσθ’ ἐπὶ νηυσὶν ἀολλέες· ὃς δέ κεν ὑμέων
- βλήμενος ἠὲ τυπεὶς θάνατον καὶ πότμον ἐπίσπῃ
- τεθνάτω· οὔ οἱ ἀεικὲς ἀμυνομένῳ περὶ πάτρης
- τεθνάμεν· ἀλλ’ ἄλοχός τε σόη καὶ παῖδες ὀπίσσω,
- καὶ οἶκος καὶ κλῆρος ἀκήρατος, εἴ κεν Ἀχαιοὶ
- οἴχωνται σὺν νηυσὶ φίλην ἐς πατρίδα γαῖαν.
- ὣς εἰπὼν ὄτρυνε μένος καὶ θυμὸν ἑκάστου.
Therefore swarm round the ships and fight. If any of you is struck by spear or sword and loses his life, let him die; he dies with honor who dies fighting for his country; and he will leave his wife and children safe behind him, with his house and allotment unplundered if only the Achaeans can be driven back to their own land, they and their ships.”
With these words he put heart and soul into them all.
(Trans. A.T. Murray)